Delicious artisan Sandwiches aren’t just for lunch or dinner. Full of good for you deliciousness- and any way you would like to make it perfect for you- today is all about veggie breakfast sandwiches and why we love them.
To Start the Day or Enjoy anytime
This has egg on it- so a traditional breakfast type food- but you can enjoy anytime of the day of course. And side note- we are vegetarians but even if you aren’t following a strict vegetarian diet- you can enjoy this simply as a veggie sandwich – and don’t be afraid to add your favorites-like cucumbers, bell peppers, spinach, olive tapenade- they are all so good on this!
We first had an artisan veggie sandwich like this one while in Calistoga. A local bakery made the most delicious sandwiches that were just like a lunch sandwich but for breakfast. Full of fresh avocado, tomato, onion and lettuce on a hearty seeded grain bun- they looked like a gourmet veggie burger. We just left off their meat for a vegetarian version.
Since we had it that first time years ago- we have customized our versions of the sandwich even more- and we have several versions depending on mood and who is over for breakfast and what they would like. Feel free to add veggie sausage or bacon (or regular if that is what you like), choose whatever cheese you prefer ( or leave off) and find a nice artisan fresh baked bread for the best flavor.
This version has egg and brie cheese with a drizzle of yogurt ranch- but feel free to customize as you would like.
Artisan Vegetarian Breakfast Sandwich
- 1 loaf Artisan Bread- sliced
- 1 Heirloom tomato
- 1 Egg, Egg Substitute or Vegan Egg Substitute
- 1 handful of fresh lettuce
- 1 1/4 sliced onion
- 1 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Drizzle Yogurt or Vegan based Ranch Dressing sauce
- 1 slice Preferred cheese or cheese substitute
- Wash and prep the lettuce, tomato, avocado and onion and set aside. Slice and toast the bread while you cook the egg or egg substitute. Feel free to scramble or prepare the egg however you prefer. If you are including a meat or faux meat- cook at the same time. Smash the avocado onto the bread and layer the veggies on top. Once your egg is ready, leave in pan and place cheese on top and cover for a minute or so to melt. Add the egg to the 'sandwich' and drizzle the yogurt dressing on top. Top with the other bread and slice in half. Serve warm and enjoy!
This is such a great quick and easy sandwich to make for guests. You can slice a whole loaf into several slices (we love Mediterranean olive bread for this) and cook several eggs and anything else together and then build each one as your guests would like.
For example- though my husband likes regular eggs and melted brie cheese (this sandwich was one he made and devoured right after I finished photographing it haha) my daughter is vegan and has vegan egg & cheese on hers and it is so simple to make at the same time.
Don’t miss the other breakfast recipes my friends are sharing today too.