Today is all about delicious soups of the season that speak autumn comfort food. One of my favorite things about autumn is that it is soup season. And a favorite soup that my husband makes is a lentil soup. He took his lentil soup recipe and customized it for a split pea and pumpkin soup version- and even better- served it inside a charming little personal size pumpkin for added oomph and flavor.
It is so easy to make and so easy to customize. This is a basic recipe- but I will be honest- he is not a recipe following kind of guy. He goes with what speaks to him as he cooks and so, sometimes there is a whole lot more garlic or added veggies- and everything is to taste rather than measured. The good news with that is- you can do the same and choose what speaks to you and go with it.
Split Pea & Pumpkin Soup
Hearty Split Pea & Pumpkin Soup
- 1 pumpkin small organic pumpkin per guest
- 1 16 oz green split pea
- 1 medium onion- diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic- chopped or minced
- 1 lb mini red potatoes
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced butternut squash and/ or pumpkin to cook in
- 1 cup super greens or favorite greens
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 tbps olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 6-8 cups of water to a boil- add in the peas and olive oil and bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer. Chop the veggies and after 20 minutes- add everything other than the super greens into the pea soup mixture and simmer until peas are tender- approximately 45 minutes to an hour. Meanwhile- slice the top off the small pumpkins and scoop out the seeds. Bake the pumpkins until just barely tender and set aside. When the peas and veggies in the are cooked and tender- add in super greens to cook for a few moments and salt and pepper to taste. Scoop into the baked pumpkins and top with grated parmesan cheese. Serve with crusty warm fresh bread and enjoy!
It is SO GOOD. And it is even better next day and freezes well too. (if there is any left!)
Don’t miss all the deliciousness that my friends are sharing today as well!
Happy Wednesday all.